“The Responsibilities of a Team Captain
This guide is intended for those captaining a team in the “N&D Tennis League”, administered through the “League Active” website, for the first time.
POST FIXTURES MEETING (March)
- You will be sent a fixture list by our club's Match Secretary, and asked to confirm the dates with your team.
- If you need to rearrange a particular fixture, please check the club calendar to see when courts are available for “Home” matches (Click here) and then contact the opposition captain - you need to be signed-in to the League Active website to see contact details (Click here).
- At this stage, you will need to inform our club's Match Secretary of any changes so the dates can be amended on the “League Active” website.
PLEASE NOTE: ANY CHANGES TO DATES MUST BE AGREED WITHIN 2 WEEKS OF THE FIXTURES MEETING.
- Once the league is up and running, if captains need to rearrange a match, because of inclement weather, they can do so through the “League Active “website (Click here), having first agreed a date with the opposition captain.
- The Match Secretary will be sent an automated email notification of any changes.
- Check the availability of your players, select a team and confirm selection.
- If necessary, recruit players from the team(s) below; players can 'play-up' twice. Or, in an extreme situation and before conceding a match which will result in automatic relegation, play a non-eligible player and inform the opposition captain (You will forfeit all sets the non-eligible player plays in). The Match Secretary and Men’s / Ladies Club Captains available to assist with recruitment.
- Confirm the match via the League Active website, 1 week before the match.
- Acquaint yourself with the rules of the league in which you are competing (Click here). Matches, although competitive, should be friendly, social events but it helps to be informed. If there are any disputes or disagreements these should be handled calmly, showing the opposition all due respect.
- For “Home” matches, arrange post-match refreshments, asking team members to contribute savoury or sweet and milk. Tea and coffee are available from the “ball cupboard”.
ON MATCH DAY
- Matches can only be postponed because of inclement weather or safety concerns.
- In the case of inclement weather, both teams are expected to turn up unless representatives from both have agreed to postpone. The “Home” team captain shall decide if courts are not fit to play.
For “Home” matches:
- Ensure you access to the clubhouse and the combination to the ball cupboard and have a result card.
- Set tables for post-match refreshments.
- Check nets are at the correct height (Stick Measures are kept in the clubhouse near the “ball cupboard”).
- Provide 4 new Match Balls per court. Please sign out tennis balls and return them afterwards.
- Welcome opposition.
For all matches:
- Confirm your team pairs and pair numbers; confirm order of play with opposition captain.
- Mutually agree the “time for cessation of play” before the commencement of the match, but failing that, play shall cease at 10pm (Note: we have no floodlight curfew so “home” matches can, if desired, continue until complete).
- Complete 'Results Card' (Captain's must countersign each other's).
- Collect match fees.
- Wash up and return crockery/cutlery - team's responsibility.
- Lock up.
- Enter the match result and upload a photograph of the Results Card on to the “League Active” website , a.s.a.p. (Only the captain and Match Secretary have access to do this).
- You will receive a notification when the result is confirmed by the opposition captain.
THE BEST TEAM CAPTAINS DELEGATE SOME OF THEIR RESPONSIBILITIES, WHILE REMAINING ACCOUNTABLE.