Minutes of AGM 2017
Thu, 16 Mar 2017 00:00
Present: Derek Burton (Chair), Ann Burton, Ian Halsall, Steve Collis, Helen Schuilenburg, Polly Butt, Chris Butt, Alan Kindred, David Oldfield, Karin Olley, Sally Munday, Matt Sanders.
Apologies for absence: Chris McMullen, Deborah Girling, Stuart Olley, Ian Barker, Jo Kindred, Sue Frost.
1: Election of officers:
Derek explained that after last years AGM three members of the committee had stood down, including the Chair, Polly Butt. At the first committee meeting of the new season Derek had volunteered to act as Chair. He requested that he be formally voted in to this position.
Proposed: Polly Butt Seconded: Chris Butt
Deborah Girling has kindly agreed to take over the role of membership secretary from Ian Barker.
Proposed: Karin Olley Seconded: Sally Munday
The rest of the committee were introduced to those present.
2: The minutes of the last AGM held on 10/03/16 were approved.
There were no matters arising.
3: Chair’s Report. Derek Burton
• Derek felt that the club possessed excellent facilities and that the courts were in good condition.
• The club was financially solvent.
• We had a successful Open Day in June and this resulted in some new members to the club.
• Derek felt that we should try and expand our membership and try and encourage more junior players.
• Derek had been approached by the Landmark School requesting access to our courts. It was felt that this should be encouraged but that they should be charged a realistic rate.
• Derek requested that members encouraged people to come and try our club sessions.
• Volunteers were needed to run the club sessions.
• In conclusion Derek felt that the club was in a good state but needed an influx of new members.
• Derek encouraged members to consider playing in matches.
4: Coaching Report: Matt Sanders: Over & In
• Matt reported that 30 children had attended coaching sessions run by himself and Sam Jacot.
• Sam had been running Saturday sessions and would hopefully remain coaching until the summer term.
• There had been a good response to the adult summer coaching. This will resume after Easter.
• Matt said that he would like to encourage coaching among the Monday and Friday morning players.
• The Davis Cup Legacy scheme had been successful, its aim being to get new players into the game.
• Matt and Sam will be running Summer camps for children.
• He felt that it would be nice to involve the men’s team in some coaching.
• He also felt that a session devoted to junior players would be helpful.
• Matt offered to attend club sessions and this was felt to be a good idea.
• Inviting others clubs to join in our sessions was also raised.
• Matt was thanked for all his hard work.
5: Treasurer’s Report: Steve Collis
• The club’s financial accounts were distributed to those present.
• The club had received £150 from the LTA as part of the Davis Cup Legacy.
• There was no change in the rent paid to Fulbourn PC.
• The club now has a sinking fund of £30,746.
• The report was approved
Proposed: Ann Burton Seconded: Derek Burton
• It was agreed that the joining fee should be abolished .
• It was agreed that the collection of fees should be aligned with the Wimbledon ballot.
• A small increase in fees was proposed. Adults: £95
Off peak: £62.50
Juniors: No change
Proposed: Chris Butt Seconded: Alan Kindred
6: Club facilities: Derek Burton
• The courts had been cleaned by Replay three times last season.
• The courts were in good condition, but court 3 needed attention.
• It was proposed that a number of quotes should be obtained to assess the cost of resurfacing the court.
• Derek felt that the clubhouse could be made a bit more comfortable and suggested that it was tidied and a notice board erected in the window.
7: Team Report: Ian Halsall
• Ian reported that it had been difficult to get team players.
• The exception had been the men’s first team which had again been very successful. They gained promotion having won their division.
• There were mixed fortunes with the other teams but everyone involved had enjoyed the matches.
• In the winter league the men first team won their division and the second team had had some close matches.
• The ladies teams remain in their current divisions.
• Derek thanked Ian for all his hard work on behalf of the teams.
8: Membership: Derek Burton
• Derek explained that he was not in possession of the current membership numbers.
• Deborah Girling will be taking over the role of membership secretary and will be sending out emails regarding membership soon.
• It is hoped that all subscriptions will be paid by April 30th.
• Members present requested a copy of the membership list with contact numbers. It was stressed that members can opt out of having their contact details circulated.
9: Wimbledon tickets: Ann Burton
• The club has been allocated nine pairs of tickets.
• The members present requested that a manual ballot was held.
• The deadline for completion of the ballot is May 19th.
• Ann and Chris to organise
10: Any other business
• Karin was thanked for organising the Hills Road winter tennis sessions.
• April 8th: Court tidy up and play.
• British Tennis Open Day Sunday July 23rd.
• Alan Kindred suggested that the club should investigate getting a better financial return for our funds.
• Derek asked if anyone knew where some of our old club trophies may be located.
• Derek thanked Helen for all her hard work whilst serving on the committee.
• Chris and Ann are developing an on line survey to gather opinion from the membership on how the club can be improved.
The meeting closed at 9.30pm