SHTC Box League
We run a competitive all year-round box leagues for singles which is a great way to play more tennis and meet other members. The leagues cater for a variety of playing standards and hopefully you should find yourself in a league with players of similar ability. If you want to be included in subsequent box leagues, please contact us at [email protected]
When new players join the box league, the box league referee will try to place them, where possible, in an appropriate division.
Everyone is mutually responsible for contacting the other players in their division and arranging their match fixtures.
The Tennis Singles League is mixed gender and open to all senior playing tennis members and junior members aged 14+.
Club social play takes priority over box matches so busy club nights (e.g. Wednesday evenings, Saturday and Sunday after 3pm) are not good times to arrange for a match! An hour and a half is usually comfortably enough time to play a match (including a 10 minute knock up).
Playing your matches
Matches are to be played over 2 short sets + 1 Championship Tie-Break as the third set:
- Sets 1 & 2: first to 4 games or with 2 games clear at 3-3 or a normal Tie-Break at 4-4
- Set 3: a Championship Tie-Break only so first to 10 points or 2 points clear at 9-9.
Recording your match results
After the match, if you won, you are responsible for filling the result on the box league table which is located in the club house.
- If you won both sets, you must put the result of the first set. (i.e. 4-2, 5-3, 5-4 (if it ended on tie-break))
- If you won in three sets after a Championship Tie-Break then you must put the result of the set that you won during the first two sets.
- Players are responsible for organising their matches and supplying balls.
- Players will be removed from the leagues from the next cycle if no matches are played. It is not possible to be removed from the League while a round is in progress - if you are going to be unable to play your remaining fixtures, then please write ‘Injured’ or "Out" next to your name on the box league table.
- The leagues will run between 5-6 weeks depending on the number of players in each division unless otherwise advised by Tennis League Referee.
- In the case of dispute, please contact the Tennis League Referee on the details below.
- All applicants must be paid-up playing members of SHTC.
Promotion & Demotion Process
This takes place at the end of each round - based on players’ total matches won - not games.
- 3 points will be added for a Win, 2 points for a loss.
- If two players have equal scores at the end of the cycle, the players will be positioned according to the score between them.
- The Tennis League Referee reserves the right to amend the leagues as and when new or additional players enter depending on their playing level.
- Top two players will be promoted upwards by one division and the lowest scoring two players are demoted similarly.
Current Box League Referee:
Albert Costas Monton: [email protected]