Competition Update from the LTA
Sun, 31 May 2020 00:00
Based on the latest advice from Government in liaison with the Department of Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) and Sport England, who we continue to work closely with in the planning of the safe return of all forms of tennis activity, we have made the decision to extend the cancellation of all LTA staged and LTA approved competitions (Grade 1 to 6) up to Sunday 26th July 2020 which includes County Week and the Scottish Junior Open (Grade 2). This continues with our approach of reviewing the cancellation of competition, as a result of Covid-19, on a rolling monthly basis.
Some key points to note:
· Some formats of competition will be able to resume before others - Local Tennis Leagues, LTA Youth Box Leagues and internal box leagues/ladders can be played from now, as long as they adhere to the guidelines in place, including social distancing
· LTA approved competitions (Grade 6) such as External Matchplay competitions may be able to restart before this date, further information will be provided when available and before the end of June
· County & District Leagues are not able to restart as only gatherings of 6 people are allowed and the majority of match formats would include 8 or more players – however these Leagues may be able to restart before this date, further information will be provided when available and before the end of June
Although some tennis activity is now allowed, the situation does not yet support the running of competitions until we have clubhouses open (especially toilet and ancillary facilities), there is further relaxation around social gatherings and hotels & other accommodation can open (more for national level competition). In addition, and although it would vary by the level of competition, we would need a number of weeks lead in time to restart certain competitions in order to set up and facilitate entry periods and other logistics around competition delivery.
Therefore, competitions graded 1 to 6 up to and including Sunday 26th July 2020, must now be cancelled.