Charter for Fair Play
Please note that the club is run by members for members. Armley Tennis Club expects everybody connected with the club to follow this charter.
- Abide by the rules and spirit of Tennis.
- Never cheat nor attempt to gain an unfair advantage – if there is any doubt replay point(s) in dispute.
- Accept success and failure, victory and defeat, with good grace.
- Exercise self-control at all times.
- Treat opponents and team-mates with respect – before, during and after the event.
- Dress in a manner appropriate to tennis – sportswear and tennis shoes, please.
- At home matches act as host – look after your visitors and treat them with courtesy.
- At away matches remember you are a guest at another club – respect their hospitality and customs.
- Never encroach on the other side of the net unless invited to do so.
- When watching matches, just watch. You are not part of their game so don’t get involved.
- Never use bad language, even when directed at yourself.
- Never throw your racket, hit balls wildly or abuse any other equipment.
Above all remember tennis is a game and your opponents are part of that game. They are just as entitled to enjoy it as you are. Make sure your match is a pleasant experience for everybody. That’s what sport is for.
Don’t forget that all the work required to run the club and maintain the fabric and finances of the club in good order is done on a voluntary basis by members of the committee and other volunteers. As such, these volunteers, who give up a considerable amount of their own time and expertise, should be treated with respect at all times.