Annual General Meeting

 

 

 

 

Southwell Lawn Tennis Club Annual General Meeting 

Minutes 11th April 2022, 6:30pm at the Clubhouse

1.  Present: Paul Caygill (chair), Marion Wraith, Jane Orme, Martin Done, Barbara Thorne, Liz Cutts, Pat Newman, Kathy Hocking, Derek Housam, Chris Gilliat, Rebecca Smith, T Wells, Fred, E Hudson, Jayne Wheatley, A Bowmer, J Nix, H Appleby

Apologies: Shelagh Mitchell, Steve Webb, F Cayless, S Connor, A Whaley, J and V Green, A Mellors, R and G Rees, P and L Keaton, A Wells.

 

2.  Minutes of previous meeting held on 24th March 2021

Meeting held on Zoom due to Coronavirus – documents prepared and on website.

Minutes approved.

 

3.  Matters Arising

Courts cleaned, minor repairs to tarmac still to be done; floodlight repairs in hand.

 

4.  Captains’ reports

Ladies’ Second Team – Summer, Div 2

Won 3 out of 5 matches. Eastwood pulled out of the Division. Ended up 3rd and therefore will remain in division. I will be stepping down as captain at the end of 2022 summer season.

Barbara Thorne

 

Mixed Seconds – Winter League, Div 8

Still 2 more matches to play. So far, played 3 and lost 3 matches. Thrashed by Sutton-in Ashfield but the 2 other matches were close and they could have gone either way.

Mixed Seconds - Summer League, Division 4.

Mixed season. Played 4 matches; conceded 1 and had one team concede to us. Of the 4 matches played, we won 2 and lost 2. But one of the ones we lost to, was again Sutton-in-Ashfield.

Ros Rees

 

Ladies 1st team – Summer League 2021, Div 1

Drew 1, won 1 and lost 4 matches.  Unfortunately, this means demotion to Div 2, having stayed in the top division since 2014. Both ladies teams are now in the same division.

Ladies 1st team – Winter League 2021, Div 1

Our first 3 matches postponed due to bad weather.  So far, we have played 4, won 2 and lost 2.  We have one more scheduled and waiting for DL Nottm to provide date. My thanks to players.

Pat Newman

 

Mixed First Summer League – Div 3

A very strong season. We won 4 matches and lost 2 so we’ve been promoted into Division 2.

Mixed First Winter League

Another strong season. We won 3 and lost 3 so should stay where we are. Thank you to all the players, particularly those who have stepped in at short notice. Unfortunately, a couple of men have moved clubs, so this summer is going to be a whole new ball game.

Rebecca Smith

 

Men’s Team – Summer League, Div 3; Winter League, Div 7

The men’s team in the Summer League was demoted from Div 3 after finishing second to bottom following points deduction due to being unable to field a team for one match.

The winter league men’s team has finished mid division in Div 7 (won 3, lost 1 and conceded 1). The main problem remains raising a team from a small pool of players.  I feel the best way to attract match level players, and importantly, to keep them, is to have well attended club nights with a good range of abilities.

Alan Bowmer

 

 

5.  Chairman’s report, 2021-2022

Review of the last 12 months

• As the country emerged from the pandemic, this enabled the Club’s social, team and coaching activity to restart.

• The refurbished court lighting began to fail towards the end of 2021.  After some significant work by John Green and members of the committee the lighting was finally repaired in January 2022.  The contractors have recommended replacing the current lighting with an energy efficient LED system as components are becoming scarce.

• Inflationary pressures meant the committee felt it had no choice but to increase membership subscriptions for 2022.  Sound financial management has meant this is the first increase in a long time.

• Some unexpected and very sad news with the death of Richard Nix, who was a long-time member and chaired the committee. Richard will be remembered as being a truly nice, upstanding sort of guy. Ultra-efficient and thorough, he was reliable, and anyone could turn to him for help. He was the backbone of the club for many years as chairman.  His legacy for the club will include resurfacing the courts and the negotiation of the lease. He’ll be sadly missed. *

• Marion Wraith who has served as secretary for many years has decided to step down at this AGM and not seek re-election.  We are very sorry to see Marion leaving. She was a great asset, an efficient organiser and kept us all on track.  We’ll miss her. *

 

Some of the challenges facing the club over the next 12 months:

• Continuing inflationary pressures on costs

• Replacement of the court lighting

Paul Caygill

* With thanks to Barbara for helping with these points.

 

6.  Membership secretary’s report

Another good year with total membership going from 161 to 226.

 

2020/2021

Adult         25

Family       17 families (63 members)

Junior         6

Senior       61

Student      6

 

2021/2022

Adult        28

Family      28 families with 109 members

Junior      11

Senior      71

Student     7

The booking system continues to be well used, and please remember to pay next year’s subs by May 1st as you need to be an active member and registered with Clubspark in order to book.

We have added a Visitor's Fee option on the How To Join page of our website, so if you are taking a visitor you can now pay for them online.

Membership fees for 2022/23 will be as follows:

 

Adult £100

Family £160

Junior £20

Senior £70

Student £20

 

Shelagh Mitchell

Membership Secretary

 

7.  Coaching and Juniors report (received after meeting)

On The Ball Coaching - Southwell Coaching Report 2022

We have been pleased with the opportunity to have a full and uninterrupted year of coaching at the club for the first time since Covid arrived in 2020. This has allowed for an increase in both participation and competition within the programme and has also allowed us to plan events with more advanced notice.

The overall number of participants has remained steady, with a large increase in Mini Red/Orange players (5-9 year olds) and a decrease in later teenage players.

We have delivered competitions for those within the programme with good success and established contact with other clubs to provide friendly team match opportunities.

In April, we will be sending 8-12 players to Collingham LTC to participate in a team event. For many, it will be their first competitive event outside of the club.

We have provided 2 Open Days at the Club in the last year, with the aims of increasing both club memberships and participation in coaching sessions. Our ambition is to provide more regular competition opportunities for all within the programme and to support those who are ready to begin competing.

In regards to participation, we are happy with the increase in Mini Red players (we have a waiting list for Fri 4-5pm session). Our goal is to continue the steady growth. We would also like to see a greater increase in teenage players taking up the sport at the club - especially girls, where numbers are typically lower.

The opportunities to provide more adult coaching sessions remain quite limited, with Wednesday nights being the only realistic evening. Those that are able to attend these sessions are always a joy to teach and are supportive of new members of the groups - something we feel is essential for the success of a club programme.

As ever, we are keen to support club incentives, including participation drives, team training, fundraising events, etc. We are pleased with the support from the committee, especially as many committee members regularly join our coaching sessions, and are excited to continue providing tennis sessions for the club & committee.

 

Jason Kilkie

On The Ball

 

8.  Treasurer’s report

The process of changing to online banking is progressing with the Membership Secretary having the ability to view the accounts. Signatories have also been changed to Jane Orme and Rebecca Smith.

 

9.  Election of Committee Officers

Paul Caygill took over the role of Chairperson last year on a trial basis and he and the present committee were re-elected with the exception of the Secretary, Marion Wraith. Unfortunately, there has been no one prepared to take over this role, the committee will address this at the next meeting. Martin will continue to manage the website and social media as part of his communications role. Rebecca Smith volunteered to join the committee and was duly elected. She was keen to assist with liaison between On The Ball coaching and Juniors.

 

10.       Election of Team Captains

The current team captains Pat Newman, Amanda Mellors, Alan Bowmer, Rebecca Smith and Ros Rees will carry on for another season and a big thank you to them all. Barbara Thorne will stand down as the second ladies summer captain next year.

 

11.       AOB

a)     Members are reminded to put the ball machine away in the designated space by the sink with the cable properly stored.

b)     Members should use the club “contact us” email to contact the committee.

c)     The Competition Boards in the clubhouse require updating and efforts will be made this year to hold competitions to provide new champions!

d)     There isn’t a club kit at the moment, the committee will look into this.

e)     A meeting is to be arranged with On the Ball Coaching to review the contract and their plans for the future.

f)     It was suggested blinds to the windows facing the courts should be purchased to allow lights to be on in the club room when play is under floodlights. ACTION: Committee to investigate.

 

12.       Date of next meeting: TBC