January 2024 Newsletter
Sat, 03 Feb 2024 00:00
January 2024 newsletter
AGM - March 11th 7pm.
Club Championships - Finals day: 17th Feb pm. Further details and schedule to follow.
May Bank Holiday - Seniors tennis event. Another great day for the club
Further details of club successes are posted regularly on our social media pages.
A very successful poker night was held at the club, run by Craig Jones on Friday January 26th. Good fun had by all. Contact Craig if you're interested in joining the next one, date to be confirmed. Craig 07855 269495
Six nations rugby has kicked off… the club is showing the games. Look out for info re the Welsh games when food is often ordered in for half time.
A wine tasting evening is to be arranged for Friday May 10th. Event to be run by Dafydd from Cheers. £20 to include wine, canapés and a quiz to test your wine knowledge. We will let you all know when.
If anyone has any ideas for forthcoming social events please let me know. Kerry 07825740395
- to those who have recently gained additional qualifications to support the growth of tennis, racketball and squash.
- Greg Mwanza - Referee Squash Level 1.
- Lewis Clement - Coach Squash & Racketball Level 1
- Cameron White. - Coach Squash & Racketball Level 1
- to Mimi on her success in the Australian Open.
- Masters selection
Tennis - Michelle Morgan, Nick Rees & Jo Price
Squash - Dan Anderson (Capt O 35)
First sets of new kit have arrived - any additional orders currently go through the club until we can set up an online shop. Any requests please contact Wendy. Kit details will soon be on the web site.
Guests - All members must be aware that any guests playing at the club should have paid a guest fee. This is currently being abused and understandably frustrates full paying members. Pay online or at the bar.
New Members are reminded that key club information is sent out on joining. It is all members responsibility to be familiar with our club processes for both your, and others, safety and enjoyment.
reminder about court cancellations - as per website booking rules -
Block booking rules will be reinforced for regular offenders.
Please avoid booking two sessions then making a late cancellation as it reduces the number of courts available for other members !!
Waste changes- From April the club will need to adhere to new recycling waste collection regulations. We anticipate a change in the waste management and thank you for your cooperation whilst we put new practices in place.
Tennis teams are thriving, remaining very competitive in the Winter leagues.
Mixed seniors remain top of their league.
The club’s Men’s internal team league continues to create further competitive opportunities throughout the Winter. 8 teams have contested close matches with the Bagel Boys and Sure Shankers leading at this stage.
A ladies internal league will start in February - thanks to Angela Gisby for coordinating players.
The University Challenge (a further team series as part of our partnership with Swansea University) is a close fought affair with the scores very even.
All teams are holding their own in the various leagues with plenty of home games as B,C & D teams are all in the same league. Currently A team lie 2nd in Premier 1, B team are top West central 1 closely followed by the C team (3rd), and the D team (4th), with the E team 3rd in West Central 2. Always entertaining for spectators.
- Willows Dental Practice for the generous donation to the club.
- Anonymous donation for Ladies team tennis kit.
- Recyclaball - Bernie Devonald for continuing to collect and send off old tennis balls raising money for the club
- Ian Jackson for continuing to litter pick around the site.
- Aidan Doheny for his volunteer work on a weekly basis for Welsh Baccalaureate
- All those preventing the migrating clay from Courts 12&3 from entering the clubhouse.
- Martin Lacey for the added excitement of the 6 Nations sweepstake.