Membership Terms and Conditions
- The Membership Terms and Conditions and Club Rules must be read in conjunction with the Writtle Tennis Club (WTC) Constitution.
- The Committee shall determine the Terms and Conditions and Rules for the use of the Club and is empowered to make, repeal and amend them, and also to delegate their operation to the Club’s Head Coach.
- A copy of the Terms and Conditions & Club Rules will be displayed in the Club Hut and will also be available for inspection on the Club’s website.
- The membership agreement commences when the member has agreed to the Terms and Conditions and their initial payment has been received.
- Membership starts on the Inception Date agreed by both parties and expires on the Renewal Date. These are specified by the online payment system. Membership cannot be cancelled during this period irrespective of a change to personal circumstance. Exceptions to this are at the discretion of the Membership Secretary and, where necessary, the Club’s Committee.
- Membership, of varying types, is open to all. The Club requires all those taking part in tennis social tennis or competitive matches to become Club members, except for specified introductory offers.
- Membership is not transferable and must only be used by the registered member. Any misuse will result in the membership being terminated.
- The WTC Committee reserves the right to cancel any membership if the member is in breach of rules or if their conduct, in the view of the Committee, is offensive to members and/or the public, or represents a health and safety danger.
- Membership entitles a member to full use of the club facilities during opening hours associated with the type of membership they have undertaken.
- Categories of membership and subscription rates shall be determined by the Committee, details of which are available on the website.
Terms of Membership Agreement (including fees and charges)
- The membership fee is due from the member to WTC and is payable upon inception of the membership. Any portion of the membership fee will only be refundable in the event of WTC being unable to provide the member with the membership services. Such refund would be calculated on a pro rata basis to the break in services experienced.
- Changes to existing membership fees are the final decision of the Club’s Committee. Wherever possible, changes to membership fees will take place on 1 April with at least 3 months’ notice given. Members reserve the right to immediate termination of their Club membership when an increase to their membership fees takes effect.
- Members’ subscriptions and coaching fees shall be paid on or before the due date. Failure to make payments on time could result in access to the facilities being withdrawn.
- It is the final decision of the Club's Committee on when and to whom promotions are offered.
- The member will ensure any change to their personal details is updated through their online profile immediately and in a timely manner.
- The member agrees to comply with the rules of membership. WTC may make reasonable changes to these rules at any time.
- WTC reserves the right to make changes to any memberships, court bookings, coaching groups or classes, where it is beneficial to the running of the club.
- WTC may assign the benefit of this agreement - and WTC's rights thereunder - to a third party on notice to the member.
- The membership agreement is governed by English Law.
Facilities and Services
- Members may not loan their membership or permit its use by anybody else.
- WTC reserves the right to close the club or areas of the club from time to time at the Committee’s discretion e.g. for maintenance repairs, refurbishment, cleaning, local emergencies and public holiday periods.
- Opening hours are subject to change by WTC giving advance notice to members where reasonably practicable.
Writtle Sports and Social Club (WSSC)
- WTC membership includes mandatory WSSC membership for the corresponding period.
- WTC members are subject to and must adhere to the standards of behaviour set by WSSC.
- Termination of WSSC membership will immediately void any WTC membership.
- WSSC reserve the right to void membership upon termination of WTC membership.
- WTC will share all relevant membership records with the WSSC committee in order to create the necessary WSSC membership records.
- WSSC commit to holding membership records in accordance with Data Protection legislation - further details can be found on their website: www.writtlesportsandsocialclub.co.uk/
Limitation of Liability
- Members are responsible for the safekeeping of their personal belongings at all times whilst using the Club’s facilities. WTC, its Committee, agents or sub-contractors, will not be liable for any loss, damage or theft of any property brought onto WTC premises.
- Members are responsible for ensuring their correct operation or use of any WTC facilities and/or equipment (including adjusting levels or settings of equipment). If a member is in any doubt about how to correctly operate any equipment, the member must consult a member of Committee before use.
- Some areas of WTC are unsupervised and WTC does not accept responsibility for any harm or injury to an unsupervised member unless caused by our Committee, agents, sub-contractors, or our negligent act or omission.
- Coaches operate in our club on a self-employed basis. Any service they provide to you constitutes a contract between the Coach and the member. WTC accepts no responsibility for breach of contract or negligence caused by a self-employed Coach.
- The Club holds personal liability insurance with the LTA which is on display within the locked noticeboard attached to the Club Hut.
- Writtle Tennis Club deems that any act of violence, threatening behaviour or abuse against its members, coaches and anyone using the facilities is totally unacceptable and will not be tolerated by the Club. Whenever any such behaviour occurs, the Club will take reasonable and appropriate action.
- Members will not abuse the facilities or equipment at WTC and will be required to pay for any damage to property where they have wilfully or negligently caused such damage.
- Appropriate clean clothing and shoes must be worn at all times in the club (and during classes unless specifically otherwise advised by an instructor).
- WTC reserves the right to use any photographs of WTC facilities (which may include you, provided your inclusion is incidental) for press and promotional purposes.
- WTC failure to enforce its rights at any time, for any period and for whatever reason, will not be constructed as a waiver of such rights; neither will any failure to identify or act upon a member’s breach of the terms of their membership agreement be deemed an affirmation by WTC that the member's behaviour is acceptable.
- WTC permit membership payments to be suspended or refunded on medical grounds upon receipt of an official medical note within 12 months of the related membership payment being made. Eligibility for the suspension/refund of payments is restricted medical notes covering a period of or in excess of 8 weeks and are limited to the period indicated within.
- Members introducing guests to the Club to use any of the facilities shall ensure that the correct guest fee is paid to the Club and shall be responsible for the conduct of their guests.
- No member’s guest shall be allowed to play more than 3 times a year at the reduced rate.
- Other non-members must liaise with the Club’s Committee to pay the appropriate guest fees.
- Members must be aware of the Fire and Emergency Exits and the position of Fire Extinguishers and the Fire Assembly Points.
- The Club’s Health and Safety officer ensures periodic risk assessments are carried out.
- The Club’s Welfare officer ensures appropriate governance over safeguarding is in place.
- Smoking is not allowed in the Club, on court or in any area immediately surrounding the Club.
- Dogs (other than guide dogs) and other pets are not allowed in the Club Hut or any playing area without prior consent from the Club’s Committee. Any other arrangements are at the discretion of the Club’s Chairperson. Where applicable, owners must take responsibility for their pet’s behaviour and clear up any fouling, which should be removed from the site. If necessary, an owner and pet can be instructed by the Club’s Committee to leave the premises.
- The speed limit within the Club grounds must be observed by all members.
- Members must park in the marked parking spaces, and respect the disabled parking provisions and drop off areas. Exceptions will be made for vehicles loading and unloading.
- Bicycles are not allowed in the Club buildings or any playing areas.
- The Club may hire the Club premises, or part thereof, to any Member or other party for purposes and periods as deemed appropriate. The Club premises shall not be used for party political or sectarian religious purposes.
- Any damage to the Club premises or its contents must be reported to a member of the Committee immediately