Grass Court Season Nearly Upon Us- BLOG
Tue, 21 Mar 2017 00:00
Grass court season
I am a huge tennis fan and jump at every opportunity to watch high quality tennis and with the grass court season around the corner, it allows us tennis fans to witness this. The grass court season is the shortest season in the ATP and WTA calendar with originally only having 2 weeks between Roland Garros and Wimbledon. But things are now changing. Wimbledon has moved back a week opening a season for bigger and better grass court events in Britain!
With the ATP 250 Nottingham event being moved down to Eastbourne, fans are now able to watch an ATP 250 event and a WTA Premier event. How great is that? This now means that Nottingham will now see a $250,000 WTA International event and an ATP $100,000 Challenger event. That’s great news for us. We are now able to watch tour quality tennis on our door steps.
Queen’s club and Edgbaston remain the same with some of the world’s top men and women tennis players battling it out for their respective title. Can we see World Number 1, Andy Murray defend his queens title and make it a record 6 titles at the Queen’s Club? Or can Milos Roanic, Rafael Nadal or Stan Wawrinka steal the title? In Edgbaston, can British number 1 Johanna Konta take the title in Edgbaston?
British Tennis Season 2017
- Aegon Surbiton Trophy at Surbiton Racket & Fitness Club (combined ITF Women's Pro Circuit & ATP Challenger events)
- Combined WTA International Aegon Open Nottingham & Aegon Nottingham Trophy (ATP Challenger) events at Nottingham Tennis Centre
- Aegon Manchester Trophy at Northern Lawn Tennis Club, Manchester (ITF Women's Pro Circut)
- Aegon Championships at The Queen's Club, London (ATP World Tour 500 event)
- Aegon Classic at Edgbaston Priory Club, Birmingham (WTA Premier)
- Aegon Ilkley Trophy at Ilkley Lawn Tennis & Squash Club (combined ITF Women's Pro Circuit & ATP Challenger events)
26 June - 1 July
- Aegon International (combined WTA Premier & ATP World Tour 250 event) at Devonshire Park, Eastbourne
- Wimbledon Qualifying, Roehampton, London
- The Championships, Wimbledon