We need one more member to join the committee. Two members retired at the AGM after many years serving on committee. Martin Calway has kindly said that he will join but that still leasves us one short of the number stipulated in our consitiution. We have very few meetings and there is a minimal ammount of work required. If anyone would be prepared to help sustain the club contact Ann Lines at email@example.com
Minutes of Club AGM
Monday 20th November 2023
7.30pm in Parish Room, Warnham
Present: Committee members: Mike Coombs, Ann Lines, Tim Shelton, Sue Whitty, Jo Waddingham, Janet Applegate Michael Heeley
Club members: Alan McLean, Martin Calway, Peter Ballard,, Rick Hall
Non members Joanne Coombs Steve Marsh
Apologies: Paul Singleton, Jackie Calway, Mike Doran, Mark McCord, Lawrence McGraghan
Minutes of the 2022 AGM
Accepted as a true record of the meeting. Proposed Sue Whitty, Seconded Janet Applegate.
Matters Arising from the Minutes:
Smell from ditch still an ongoing issue despite Martin Calway and Ann both contacting HDC and the Env Agency. Ann suggested that when members notice this they should email Ann so that she can pass these on.
Chairmans report. A copy of the report is attached in the file
- Membership stands at 66, slightly down on last year.
- Funds rely on 65 members to keep to our financial plan
- Finances are strong
- Tues/ Fri group approx 12 members, run on a rota by Jo but any member welcome to join.
- Wed and Fri mens group run on a rota by John Bicknell and similarly any member is welcome to join.
- Had 2 American Tournaments this year which were very successful
- Some members not receiving emails, Ann to investigate
- Benches at courts donated in memory of Rosie, Browning also a tournament was held in her memory. This to be repeated and is open to all members.
- The idea of resuming tournaments was floated. It was decided to hold Mens doubles and Women’s doubles. Janet offered to organise and Ann to help her with the set up.
- Maintenance has included moss treatments in Jan and Nov. Courts in good condition. Thanks was given to all those who had helped with bark chip spreading and general tidying up and especially to Peter and Micheal who have regularly tidied around the courts and done considerable tree and shrub cutting back.
- Floodlights- Mike suggested that those who were keen to play in winter evenings try using the courts in Horsham Park. These are very reasonable to hire. All present agreed that this was a sensible idea and there was general consensus that there wasn’t enough players wanting that facility to warrant the installation costs.
- Clubspark is generally running well and thanks were given to Keith Beaney and Ann for their work on this.
- Quiz was a success, Paul did a great job as quiz master sand it was suggested that we hold another early in 2024
- Alan McLean hosted a charity event in Rosies memory and many of the club attended. Over £18,000 was raised.
- The Tues/Fri group have held 2 drinks socials and are planning a skittles evening.
- Mike thanked all the committee and especially Ann and Tim. Tim wishes to retire from Committee and Mike pointed out that he has served for 30 years and approximately 20 of those have been as Treasurer. Everyone joined in applauding him in a show of thanks.
Treasurer’s report: A copy of the report is attached in the file separately.
Tim reported that the club is in a healthy position with a balance of £23k in the bank.
The report was proposed by Sue Whitty and seconded by Michael Heeley
Election of committee
Chair -Mike agreed to stand for another year. Proposed Alan McLean Seconded Martin Calway
Secretary -Ann agreed to stand another year Proposed Janet Applegate seconded Michael Heeley
Treasurer Paul offered to stand Proposed Janet Applegate second Sue Whitty
Michael Heeley wished to resign from Committee
Sue Whitty, Janet Applegate and Jo Waddingham all happy to remain
Committee now needs 2 more members, nobody at the meeting was willing to stand. All those present asked to approach members and Ann to putt a piece on the website asking for volunteers. In order for the Club to continue to function we need 2 members to join the committee.
Ideas and suggestions from the floor:
- Ann to ask Paprish Council about cutting back tress and shrubs on road side of courts
- Alan suggested setting up a WhatsApp group for sending messages to members. Committee to discuss
- Peter said he had written to the MP about the lorries passing the Courts. Will wait to see outcome of this but general consensus was that this was legal and nothing could be done.
- Meeting closed at 8.45pm
You can book a court by clicking here:
Click here to book a court
Please add all participants names when booking.
Members can invite guests to play with them however we would ask that if the same guest wishes to play more than 3 times that they join the club. Please don't forget to add their name as a participant when booking and pay £2.50/guest/session which should be paid on-line.
The padlock code will be changed on the 1st of each month and new codes are available in the document on this page, the access password for this is contained in an email when you renew membership.
We would ask that members PLEASE wear alternative footwear to cross the muddy field then change into tennis shoes at the courts.
The club collects tennis balls for recycling, please ask a committee member for more information.