History

Rugby LTC is one of the oldest tennis clubs in the world, being established on the present site in 1876. In the mid 1990's a new progressive team was installed as the Committee. This body quickly gained independence by obtaining its own lease. The Club soon developed closer links with the Warwickshire LTA and introduced a comprehensive program for all, with a wide range of coaching and playing opportunities and tournaments.

In 2001, the Rugby LTC was voted “Club of the Year” for Great Britain. The Club’s comprehensive program, links with a variety of Schools and the practice of hiring other facilities being at the heart of our success. Consequently, our “2 court Club” became the model for the LTA on how to run a successful mini-tennis program.

Currently, we have;

  • Between 60-65 teams playing in a whole range of leagues
  • Membership standing at over 300
  • Over 200 under 10’s undertaking coaching
  • 8 licensed LTA coaches
  • 20 assistant coaches and tennis leaders
  • An all-year-round program
  • Plus much more

In 2006, due to the clubs successes, it increased its facilities to include 6 floodlit courts (4 astro-turf and 2 macadam) and a “kid’s zone.” This £250,000.00 development was funded by the Club, the LTA, Cemex and Rugby Borough Council.

Rugby LTC is a “Tennismark” Club.

In 2016 the club gave Rugby their first player at Wimbledon as Jake Hersey played in the Boys Doubles event.