History of Wells Town Tennis Club
Wells Town Tennis Club courts were given to the town in May 1947 by Florence Smith, who lived in Mayshiel on Staithe Street, Wells. Mary Bircham, who later became the Club President, was asked by the Urban District Council to start a club to run the courts in 1962.
In 2008 the club completed a refurbishment project, which included a full resurfacing of both courts, at a cost of over £32,000. Grant funding was obtained from The Foundation for Sport and the Arts and Awards for All. Donations were also received from Barclays Bank, The Wells Area Partnership, Wells Masons, Wells Lions, Wells Carnival Committee, Sowerbys, Stockers, French's Fish Shop and generous members of the public. Club members also undertook many successful fund raising events to ensure that the project funding was achieved.
On 9th July 2017 the club opened its new purpose built clubhouse which was only made possible thanks to a very successful fund raising campaign. The Club received generous financial support from generous members of the public, local businesses and organisations, a £7,500 grant from the NNDC Big Society Fund, donations from club members and club fund raising events,