Tennis Talk April
Tue, 28 Apr 2020 00:00
Formby Lawn Tennis Club was founded in the 1880's when the construction of a railway line between Liverpool and Southport transformed Formby from a fishing village, into a pleasant haven for Victorian merchants. The club leased a plot of land from Formby Cricket Club and remained a relatively small concern until the end of the First World War. Our records pre 1934 are somewhat sketchy but we do hold a trophy from 1891 presented to the club by the Officers of the 4th Battalion of the Cheshire Regiment.
Between 1920 and 1937, the club, in conjunction with the Cricket Club, hosted one of the biggest open tournaments in the North of England. The event was attended by the top international players of the day and also by members of the Australian Davis Cup team.
The 1950's and 1960's saw a significant increase in membership with the club acquiring more land and constructing hard courts to compliment the grass playing areas. Under a succession of dynamic and energetic committees, many fund raising events were held, including a fete and numerous club dances. This enabled the club to undertake an extension to the clubhouse which was completed in 1971.
The club was honoured in 1985 when it was asked to host an International match between England and Ireland. In the 1990's the club entered the Silk Cut Tennis Challenge and were regional finalists three times. In 1996 they achieved the ultimate by winning the National Final which was held at the Queens Club in West Kensington.
F.L.T.C. was gifted the freehold of the land in 2002 and now boasts six all weather courts (floodlit), a large carpark and an envious green space alongside the cricket club. In 2009 the club underwent a complete modernisation programme starting with the refurbishment of the interior and culminating in an upgraded kitchen, new double glazed windows and the installation of central heating. In 2013 the club was awarded the "Clubmark" status (now updated as Tennis Mark) and held a marquee event in its own grounds to celebrate 125 years of tennis at Gores Lane.
Members and visitors alike can now enjoy these up to date facilities, including a large free car park, whilst the clubhouse retains the charm of yesteryear, in this leafy suburb of Formby.
The club fields 4 teams in the Southport and District League and 3 teams (2 Men's and 1 Ladies) in the Liverpool League. It also has a very energetic friendly team and a flourishing junior section that also play in the local leagues.
We cater for all ages and all abilities with the emphasis on family membership and run social events including family BBQ's in the summer months. Our qualified club coach is available for group or one to one coaching so if you would like to join this friendly club please go to our website www.formbyltc.co.uk
We look forward to seeing you!