Whether you're a junior or adult, a beginner or seasoned player, we believe that competition is a vital part of any tennis programme for both social interaction and game improvement. Competition can be wide and varied, from low-key team activities to high-level individual tournaments, what's important is finding the right event for you. We always recommend a dialogue with your coach who will be happy to advise on suitability for events.
Usually the first port of call, these competitions are for club members only, so you will know your opponents and team-mates. We run a range of internal competitions for our members including:
- Junior and Adult teams as part of the Tennis Wales Leagues.
- Junior Team Challenge events - a more flexible and entry-level alternative to league tennis (this runs quarerley for Tennis Squad venues, see our events page).
- Club Championships.
- Box Leagues and Ladders (Find out more...)
Looking to play in internal club events and teams? Keep an eye on our club communication channels or ask your coach as there are regular opporunities to play for all ages and abilities.
Once you're ready to spread your wings and play some open competitions, we have some useful resources from the LTA along with recommended South Wales events.
- STEP 1: Gain your British Tennis Membership & Player Rating. This is free as a club member and can be used to enter open tournaments. You will be given a rating which is an indicator of competitive experience, and improves the more you play.
- STEP 2: Find your competition age group: visit the LTA age-group finder
- STEP 3: Find your suitable competition grade. Events are graded from 7 (local recreational level) to 1 (international events): Find your suitable competition grade and read the Tennis Wales guide to appropriate competition based on your age/rating.
- STEP 4: Start searching for competitions using the Tennis Squad and Tennis Wales Competition Calendars