Our club history
Our club was founded in 1923 by members of the Baptist Tabernacle Church and was originally called the Tabernacle Tennis Club. They used to play on grass courts in Water Lane. Back then, committee meetings used to start with a prayer.
For many years, a large proportion of membership was from this church and the last representatives left in the 1970s.
The name Grosvenor originated from Grosvenor Road, which was the home of a former secretary, Mrs Goss (resigned c.1948).
The club has played on the courts in Cassiobury Park since 1942. During the war, Lawrie Wilson who served as club chairman from 1940s to 1972, was the only male member.
Our previous club hut was built in 1956 from funds raised entirely by members and it stood strong for 64 years.
The committee lead by our chairman Aaron Gransby secured funds to replace and upgrade the hut in early 2020.
Due to the COVID-19 lockdown our season start was delayed from early April to mid-May
- 18th May 2020 - New website goes live
- 16th May 2020 - New season started (late) with singles play only, due to Covid-19 restrictions
- 14th February 2020 - New club hut built
- 27th July 2019 - Finals day
- 27th April 2019 - American Tournament
- 20th April 2019 - Season starts
- 19th March 2019 - AGM meeting
- 4th August 2018 - Finals day
- 1st July 2018 - Open Tournament
- 5th May 2018 - American tournament
- 18th April 2018 - Season starts
- 20th March 2018 - AGM meeting
- 9th September 2017 - Watford Sports Day
- 29th July 2017 - Finals Day
- 9th July 2017 - Open Tournament
- 13th May 2017 - American Tournament
- 15th April 2017 - Season starts
- 21st March 2017 - AGM meeting
- 6th August 2016 - Finals Day
- 16th April 2016 - Season starts
- 21st March 2016 - AGM meeting
- 17th September 2015 - End of season dinner
- 5th September 2015 - Season ended
- 22nd August 2015 - Mr Wilson's Invitational Doubles Tennis Tournament (2nd year)
- 1st August 2015 - Finals Day
- 19th July 2015 - Open Tournament
- 18th April 2015 - Season started
- 17th April 2015 - Fence erected between Grosvenor courts and public courts
- 23rd March 2015 - AGM meeting
- 17th September 2014 - End of season dinner
- 23rd August 2014 - Mr Wilson's Invitation Doubles Tennis Tournament
- 26th July 2014 - Finals day
- 21st June 2014 - Open day
- 31st March 2014 - AGM meeting
- 2nd March 2013 - New website goes live
- 1956 - Club hut built
- 1942 - Club moved to courts in Cassiobury Park
- 1923 - Club formed