Newlands Lawn Tennis Club has come a long way since its humble beginnings on 16th April 1904.
This is a brief history of some, but by no means all of the Club's highlights. Hopefully it will give you a flavour of our background.
The original Clubhouse and 5 blaes courts was built on land donated by Sir John Stirling Maxwell, Bart of Pollok. The total cost was £700!
The Club was closed between 1916 and 1918 because of the 1st World War. Of the 60 gents members at that time, 45 of them joined the service, 10 of whom made the ultimate sacrifice. A plaque to remember these men is in the upstairs corridor. Despite a large number of members serving in the forces during the 2nd World War, the Club remained open throughout this period.
1950 - a further 2 all weather courts were added and a floodlighting system with lamps suspended between cables ran the length of the 2 new courts.
1968 - the new Clubhouse was built, incorporating 2 squash courts. The old Club house on the left was demolished after completion of the new one on the right.
1972 - the bar opened for business.
1975 - a third squash court was built.
1972 to1983 - We were always proud of hosting the Red Hackle and Langs West tennis tournament over these years. Many famous names from the world of tennis played in these tournaments including Sue Barker, Ann Jones, Jo Durie, Lew Hoad, Manuel Santana, John and David Lloyd, Frew McMillan, Andrew Jarrett and Pat Cash to name but a few.
1981 - the old blaes courts were changed to porous concrete and floodlights were added to courts 1 and 2.
1989 - the courts were changed to savanna artificial grass. They were opened by Frew McMillan who won many Wimbledon doubles titles. At this time the changing rooms were refurbished, the bar re designed, squash court heating was installed and refurbished.
1997 – after more land was purchased, 4 glass backed squash courts were built with a viewing facility as Newlands was designated as the Regional Squash Centre for the West of Scotland. It was also at this time that there was major internal works including the entrance hall, the stairway being moved and the gym was built.
2003 – work started on the building of the 4 indoor tennis courts with viewing gallery which were officially opened by Pat Cash, former Wimbledon champion in 2007.
With such fantastic facilities, it is no surprise that Newlands have always fielded very successful tennis and squash teams. Since the West of Scotland tennis leagues started in 1905, Newlands has been a power to be reckoned with, both the gents and ladies teams having topped the top division many times. Our gents 1st team have never been relegated out of the top division. Our teams have also had great success in the Scottish Cup. Our gents team first won the Scottish Cup in 1927 and have won it a total of 20 times and our ladies 13 times. Both our gents and ladies team won it in 1929 (a feat that no club has ever achieved) and have since managed to repeat this amazing achievement in 2019 and 2021! Today, we have 64 tennis teams competing at various levels and we have a number of players from under 10 to over 70 who represent Scotland at a national level.
It is not just tennis where we have been successful. Our squash teams over the years have also made Newlands proud. First winning the Scottish Cup in 1992, and in 1993 won the 1st Division National League. Newlands then went on to win the National League for the next 12 years in a row! Both men and woman's teams have played in many European Club Championships representing Scotland, the woman's team were runners-up in 2017. This year both our teams will be representing Scotland again.
At the heart of the club are many members, past and present, who have been part of this amazing club for many years, giving up a lot of time to help keep Newlands as one of the premier tennis clubs in the country. We are eternally grateful to everyone who devotes their time and expertise to help improve this Club year on year.