The history of Worcester Lawn Tennis Club dates back to the 1920s when the club was known as Northwick Tennis Club. The three grass courts still in use today, were all that the club then possessed, and play was only possible during the summer months between May and September.
With the onset of the Second World War, restrictions meant that no new tennis balls were manufactured so the same balls were used for the duration of the war. Petrol was also unavailable so ingenius club members borrowed sheep and goats from local farmers to keep the grass down! Membership during this period dropped so dramatically that advertisements for short-term membership were displayed at the local RAF Station at Perdiswell.
There have been changes at the club over the years; in 1959 two shale courts were laid and a further one in 1964 but the biggest change came in 1969 when North Worcester Tennis Club then based in Checketts Lane sold their ground and joined Northwick to become Worcester Lawn Tennis Club. With proceeds of the sale of the land, the club was able to build a new clubhouse, and lay three further tarmac courts with floodlights and a further grass court that has since been converted to all weather.
One of the club’s most successful players is Lesley Charles who enjoyed international success in the 1970s, and was a Wimbledon finalist in 1974.