History of the Club
The Grove Lawn Tennis Club was formed in 1920 and moved to its present site in 1928, renting two grass courts. In 1943 the Club purchased the land outright for £225, within a Trust, on the basis that it continued to be used for tennis.
The original wooden clubhouse, built in 1946, was replaced in 1961 at a cost of £350. The grass courts were in due course replaced by hard courts – one court in 1951 cost £300. In recent years, with the aid of Lawn Tennis Association interest free loans, all five courts have been resurfaced and improved. With the help of a Lottery Fund grant, the present clubhouse was built in 1998 at a cost of £77,214.
In 2011 the floodlights were upgraded and extended to cover all 5 courts. This £50,000 upgrade is helping its juniors and seniors get even more practice over the winter months.