Twickenham Lawn Tennis Club was founded in 1907 on its present site in Lebanon Park. From the first days, tournaments were held and team matches played against other clubs, so we have a pedigree of competitive, as well as social tennis going back more than 100 years.
Originally a grass court club, Twickenham obtained its first hard courts in the 1920s, the same decade in which the recently replaced ‘old’ club house was erected.
Between the two World Wars, the club thrived on the social scene as well as on the courts, with numerous dances, parties, whist drives and sweepstakes to raise all-important funds. The 1940s were a difficult time for the club with many members involved in the war effort, but the club survived and started the process of increasing the membership over the following years.
In the 1950s and 60s the club introduced film nights and brought in extra revenue by hiring out the courts to local schools during the day. In the 1970s coloured clothing was allowed for the first time as the club embraced more modern ideas.
The courts were relaid in the late 1990s and then, after 80 years of service, the old pavilion was finally knocked down in 2007 and the new club house opened in 2009 and refurbised in 2024.
In 2010 the courts were relaid with a modern sand-based "MatchPlay II" surface, providing a faster surface with more reward for strong players, better playability in varied weather conditions and easier on joints. These were re laid in 2023.
In the new millennium, Twickenham LTC is stronger than ever, with more members, more junior players and more teams than ever before and we can look forward to the club’s second 100 years with plenty of confidence and pride.