Ladies Charity League 2020/21- Women’s Aid Leicestershire
Mon, 21 Sep 2020 00:00
We are excited to announce that all of the funds raised from our Ladies Charity League 2020/21 will be donated to Women’s Aid Leicestershire! They do excellent work to improve the lives of all victims who are affected by all forms of domestic abuse. We are looking forward to this years event and we hope to make it one of our best!
Here is how they describe themselves,
“Women’s Aid Leicestershire Limited was established in 1974 when we opened the first refuge in Leicester to support women and children fleeing domestic abuse. Since then we have continued to provide vital assistance to all victims of domestic abuse and sexual violence. Our work continues to be as important now as it was when we first began.
Our mission is to improve the lives of victims affected by all forms of domestic abuse.
We aim to do this by:
- Raising awareness of domestic and sexual abuse and the ongoing suffering of women and children.
- Protecting women and children and, at the same time, providing the right services and relationships that are empowering and support women to move on and recover their lives.
- Providing services which are based on listening to survivors.
- Participating in or leading campaigns to keep the issues in the public consciousness and to raise awareness on the range of violence against women including female genital mutilation, 'honour-based' violence and forced marriages.
- Supporting and reflecting diversity and promoting equality of opportunity.
- Supporting and promoting cohesive inter-agency responses to domestic and sexual violence and developing partnerships.
- Understanding the issues and providing political challenge locally and nationally.
- Providing safe and secure services for women and children fleeing an abuse situation.
- Providing support and assistance for women who are in fear of becoming victims of abuse or who have been victims in the past and still require specialist support.
- Providing a culture of excellence and expertise and to be the main provider and leading specialist of safe, secure and confidential services.
- Working with victims using an explicitly anti-oppressive approach to the way services are developed and delivered.
- Working in partnership with funders and others, fostering a reputation for delivering high quality services and proving to be a respected organisation with good governance.
- All money that is donated to Women’s Aid Leicestershire goes towards helping the women and children that arrive at our refuges, many of whom arrive with little or nothing after fleeing a difficult situation. The money helps to ensure the families have essential items and a safe, comfortable environment when they arrive.”
CEO of Women’s Aid Leicestershire, Pamela Richardson, commented, “we are very excited to be partnering with Corby Tennis Centre for their Ladies Charity Doubles event this year. It is a frightening fact that 1 in 4 women will experience domestic abuse in their lifetime, and this leads on average to two women being murdered each week. As a small local charity, we rely on donations, and all donations we receive go directly towards supporting victims of domestic abuse and their children, many of whom are fleeing life-threatening situations. We are therefore so very grateful for your support, and we wish all the players good luck in the tournament.”
For more information on Women’s Aid Leicestershire, please visit their website here and follow them on social media.
Our fundraising will go towards their tremendous efforts supporting and improving the lives of women and children. This cause is very pertinent this year as COVID-19 has escalated abuse and closed down routes to safety for women and children to escape. For more information on the effects of COVID-19 on domestic abuse, please click here.
We have spaces available to participate in this league, and we would love to have you join! If you are interested in signing up, please email us at [email protected].