MTC social tennis evenings are held every Monday and Thursday evenings from 6:30pm. The purpose of our 'social tennis' is to mix in all standards of club members, socialise and have a bit of fun. Don't be put off thinking 'I'm not good enough' as we really do have a wide range of standards participating so there will be others at the same level as you, whichever level you're at. It's a great way to help improve your game and get tips off other players too.
Come on down and don't be shy! Non members are very welcome to come along and play for free for 1 social night to try us out.
We are currently trialling a weekend social session starting May 2019 to coincide with Ladies league matches using 3 courts on a Thursday evening.
We have recently set up a WhatsApp group for social tennis to communicate who is planning to come along, especially when the weather is inclement. We cannot play if it’s icy and slippy (nor if it's lashing with rain for that matter!). Please text 07753404311 to be added to the WhatsApp group.
As an aid to everyone participating in social tennis sessions, through experience the Club has put together the following guidelines.
Social Tennis Guidelines
- Social Tennis is open to all adult members. Junior members are invited at the discretion of the Head Coach.
- All members attending Social Tennis are committed to participate in all games. It is not acceptable for fixed or arranged fours to take place when members are using the courts for Social Tennis.
- Private coaching should not take place when members are using the courts for Social Tennis.
- Each member attending Social Tennis agrees to abide by the Club’s Code of Conduct.
- Courts should be swept (unless it is raining or the courts are very damp) and nets lowered at the end of Social Tennis sessions. All members are expected to take their turn in sweeping. Balls are provided for Social Tennis as are floodlights (when necessary).
- All Social Tennis sessions are mixed doubles sessions, where possible (unless otherwise stated by the organising club volunteer).
- Sets of 8 games are played – this gives everyone a chance to serve twice. If members are waiting, players should play 1 deuce and then sudden death, with the receiver’s choice of serve. If the score gets to 6-0, then the set is over.
Social Tennis takes place on Monday and Thursday evenings from 6.30pm (3 and 4 courts respectively). We are currently trialling an additional weekend session due to the ladies league matches taking place on a Thursday evening for 10 weeks, and this will become a permanent session as it has proved popular.
A club volunteer will be present to help organise the pairings.
Come and join us!