How to find us
Stapleford Tennis Club
The Recreation Ground
Gog Magog Way
A LOCAL, FAMILY CLUB
Stapleford Tennis Club has always been a very friendly, family-orientated and welcoming club, open to any and all from the village and surroundings. The Club shares the LTA's mission and purpose, which is to "Get more people playing tennis more often" in order to enrich lives through tennis. There are a few serious and skillfull players, but the majority enjoy it as a sociable activity with a better calories-in:calories-out ratio than a trip to a cafe or pub. Membership fees have always been a necessary evil because of the arrangement whereby all court maintenance - both regular annual needs and long-term periodic refurbishment - was paid for by the club, who also paid a small annual rent to the Parish Council.
In 2014 and 2015 we ran successful and popular Junior Coaching sessions, as well as having various Open Sessions for non-members. At that time our membership numbers topped 200 members, split roughly evenly between male and female, adult and child; this was far in excess of the LTA's standard expectation of numbers of members per court for a club such as this.
In 2016 we extended the coaching to some Adult sessions, but take-up was dissapointing. We decided in 2017 that we would have to suspend our coaching programme as well as club sessions, because of the poor state of the playing surface which was evidently putting clients off. We also reduced membership fees in successive years to compensate for the deterioration of the surface, and then in 2019 stopped taking fees altogether. Consequently we now have no income at all, and have been eating through our sinking fund just to keep up the basic maintenance.
In August 2020 we surrended our lease to the Parish Council, and are now in a new arrangement whereby the Parish Council manages the grounds maintenance and capital projects, while we run the LTA-affiliated Club and get on with the rewarding part of it, i.e. running club sessions, coaching and tournaments and so on. The Parish Council's project to replace the very tired old macadam courts with a floodlit, carpet-surfaced MUGA completed in July 2021. Welcome to a new era of tennis provision in Stapleford!
"Build it and they will come"
Stapleford Tennis Club acknowledges the duty of care to safeguard and promote the welfare of children and adults at risk. The club is committed to ensuring safeguarding practice reflects statutory responsibilities, government guidance and complies with best practice and LTA requirements. A copy of the club’s full safeguarding policy is available from the club’s website, or contact a Committee member.
The club’s safeguarding policy recognises that the welfare and interests of children and adults at risk are paramount in all circumstances. It aims to ensure that regardless of age, ability or disability, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation, socio-economic background, all children:
- have a positive and enjoyable experience of tennis at the club in a safe and inclusive environment
- are protected from abuse whilst participating in tennis.
Stapleford Tennis Club acknowledges that some children, including children with disabilites and young people or those from ethnic minority communities, can be particularly vulnerable to abuse and we accept the responsibility to take reasonable and appropriate steps to ensure their welfare.
As part of our safeguarding policy Stapleford Tennis Club will:
- promote and prioritise the safety and well-being of children and adults at risk
- ensure everyone understands their roles and responsibilities in respect of safeguarding and is provided with appropriate learning opportunities to recognise, identify and respond to signs of abuse, neglect and other safeguarding concerns relating to children and adults at risk
- encourage and maintain a culture where people feel able to raise a genuine safeguarding concern and are confident that it will be taken seriously
- ensure appropriate action is taken in the event of incidents/concerns of abuse and support provided to the individual/s who raise or disclose the concern
- ensure that confidential, detailed and accurate records of all safeguarding concerns are maintained and securely stored
- prevent the employment/deployment of unsuitable individuals
- ensure robust safeguarding arrangements and procedures are in operation
The Club Welfare Officer's contact details can be found on our Contact page.
The club’s policy and procedures will be widely promoted and are mandatory for everyone involved in Stapleford Tennis Club. Failure to comply with the policy and procedures will be addressed and may result in dismissal/exclusion from the club.
Anyone who does not feel comfortable raising a concern with the Club Welfare Officer should contact the LTA Safeguarding Team directly on 020 8487 7000, the Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO) or the NSPCC on 0808 800 5000. Further details about whistleblowing can be found in the club’s safeguarding policy.
The club’s safeguarding policy will be reviewed every two years, or sooner in the following circumstances:
- changes in legislation and/or government guidance
- as required by the Local Safeguarding Children Board or LTA
- as a result of any other significant change or event.
31 December 2020
View the online booking sheet to find your preferred time and court.
Select your preferred available time and book. You can pay online with most major credit cards. Register online the first time you book.
We'll send you confirmation of your booking. You'll receive a pin number to access the venue. It's easy!