Club news & events
Parking at MHMLTC: We ask that, where possible, you walk or cycle to the club. If you need to drive, we have 7 spaces in our car park and we ask that the first car to arrive parks at one end or other of the car park, to encourage others to park so that we make use of the 7 spaces. In addition, we need to remind long standing members and to advise new members of the following:
- We have no right to use car parking spaces at The Paddock. It is merely a friendly arrangement with a neighbour
- We may only use The Paddock spaces when our spaces are full
- When using The Paddock spaces we must always leave 2 spaces empty so that we do not deprive any resident or visitor of a space
- We are not permitted to park in the curve opposite the entrance to The Paddock parking. 5 Aug
Weekend Club Sessions: We have become aware that some of our members are being disadvantaged by there being club sessions on Saturday. In order to make a fairer arrangement please note that for the next few weeks we will alternate the day on which we have the club session as follows:
Saturday 8 August
Sunday 16 August
Saturday 22 August
Sunday 30 August
We will send a reminder each week when we invite members to book in for the club session. 5 Aug
New look trial club sessions: The LTA guidance prevents us from running our normal drop-in club sessions at present, not least because we aren't allowed to have members socialising and congregating at the club. So instead, on Saturday 1 August, we are going to trial a book-in, fixed-length and fixed-number club session for club standard players at which you can choose to play in one of two sessions: the first (Session A) from 2:30pm - 4:10pm or the second (Session B) from 4:20pm - 6:00pm. There will be a fixed group of 12 players in each session using courts 1 to 3. There will be an organiser for each session and the 12 attendees will be placed in as balanced a four as is possible. After half an hour, the winners on each court will be asked to rotate and to mix in to the next court, so that everyone should be able to enjoy three half-hour sets during their session; the finer details will be explained when you attend. If fewer than 12 people want to attend a session, we will have to reduce the numbers to 8 or 4. We will eventually have a booking system in place, but for the coming Saturday, you will need to email Lorraine to request your place, telling her your choice of preferred session (A or B, or either). These are fixed sessions, so you must come to the club on time to start your session and you must leave promptly at the end of the session. We would ask you to cancel your place with as much notice as possible if you find you are unable to attend. A message to new members: if you have recently joined the club and would like to take part in club session, you will need to speak to our coach Joe Anan and make an appointment with him, so that he can see you play, to assess whether you are of the right standard to take part in club session. As the clubhouse is not open, apart from use of the toilets, members must bring their own water or use the tap outside the clubhouse to refill water bottles. The temperature on 1 August is meant to be high and so members are asked to bring their own sunscreen. 27 Jul
Group coaching: We are still limited to a maximum of five adults in a coaching group, but the limits for juniors has been raised, so we are looking at how to reintroduce junior group coaching, and summer camps. 17 Jul
Guests: From 1 August, you are allowed to play tennis at MHMLTC with a guest under the following rules:
- one member may bring only one guest at a time
- no one person may be brought as a guest more than five time in a membership year, irrespective of who's guest they are
- you must register the guest name and proposed date of play by email in advance before the guest attends;
- guest registration is a condition of our insurance
- the guest fee (£5 for an adult or £3 for a junior) must be paid by bank transfer immediately after play.
To register your guest, you must send an email in advance with your or the member's name, the name of the guest you have invited and the date you plan to play to [email protected] As soon as practicable after your guest has attended, please make your payment of the guest fee by bank transfer to the club bank account. 27 Jul
Floodlights and Clubhouse: Floodlights can now be used but the kitchen remains out of bounds. 17 Jul
Reopening of the club toilets: Club members are now able to enter the clubhouse but ONLY to use the men's or ladies' loo. Please observe the following rules:
- maximum of two members in the clubhouse at a time having used sanitiser before entering - children must be accompanied by an adult
- use of cleaning materials provided in changing rooms before use of loo and after
- use of paper towels for hand drying must be disposed of in bins provided
- please do not put disposable wipes in the loo
Please note that the kitchen remains out of bounds at present as do the changing room for changing.
Please also be aware that the last person leaving the club at any point in the day and especially in the evening is responsible for ensuring that the door to the clubhouse is double locked and the metal gate closed.
A general reminder: it is an LTA requirement that all courts users must use the sanitiser on arrival and departure.
Please keep up the good work of ensuring court gates are closed, particularly at the end of day. 18 Jun
Junior coaching & Summer Camps in August: We are now allowed to run the summer camps for 4 year-olds up to 16 year-olds which are open to members and non-members. Please click here >> for details. 17 Jul
Junior Shoe Tags: We ask that all junior members have their purple shoe tag with them when playing at the club. 17 Jul
Membership: We now have a full adult membership and have welcomed some new members who have been on the waiting list for some time. 17 Jul
Court bookings: Members are now able to play doubles at the club with players from different households in accordance with the new guidance for players issued by the LTA here >>. As we are still in the middle of a very serious pandemic, it is important that all members maintain 2-metre social distancing and observe the LTA and club rules, including those summarised below:
- All play must be pre-booked via our Clubspark booking system
- You may book only one hour a day on Court 4 and up to 1.5 hours on Courts 1-3
- To book for 1.5 hours on Courts 1-3: change the 'View as Member' button at the top right of the booking screen to 'View as Max'
- No member should play more than a single booking of 1 or 1.5 hours of adult tennis in a day
- No member should play adult tennis more than four times in a week
- Please try to avoid leaving 30 minute gaps between bookings
- Bookings can be made 4 days in advance
- Bookings not needed must be cancelled well in advance
- Please do not enter the club before the start time of your booking and leave the court 5 minutes before the end of your booked time
- Please use the sanitiser from the dispenser just inside the gate or beside the clubhouse door when you arrive and when you leave
- Please bring your own tennis balls that have a distinguishing mark on them
- Please close all court gates when you leave by using your racket or by other means to avoid touching the gate with your hands
- It is vital that the court gates are closed in order that foxes cannot get on the courts
- For the time being the clubhouse will remain closed except for using the toilets
- Please attach your Parking Permit to your windscreen 31 May
New Singles tennis ladder: We have started a new Singles Ladder for all members, all ages, ability and gender. Please click here >> for details. 13 Oct
Joe's tennis tips: Joe has posted three videos on the club's Facebook page to keep us connected with our tennis. Click here >> to see them. 20 Apr
Work goes on: This is the time of year when major work is done in order to prepare the courts for summer.
- On 1 April, all 4 courts were sprayed with moss killer.
- On 1 May, Courts 1-3 were decompacted, which revives the pile and aims to restore the surface to its original state. All 4 courts were power brushed and new infill was applied – rubber granules on Courts 1-3 and sand on Court 4. All this work should ensure the courts now play well.
- On 30 July, all 4 courts are being power brushed again.
- The grass bank which was remodelled last autumn is looking better and new grass is growing. The gardeners have said they will rake it in due course and if necessary add some more seed.
- Before the clubhouse was closed down, the fridge was duly emptied, defrosted and cleaned.
- A new clubhouse door has been fitted so hopefully no more problems of sticking. The same locks were reused, so no need for new keys.
- And we have a new postbox at the entrance gate. 1 May
Claire Unwin's report: Read our Club Captain's report to this year's AGM here >>
Supervision of Juniors: When children attend formal coaching sessions or holiday camps, they are supervised by the coaches concerned. However, when junior members and their guests use the club's facilities at any other time that is permitted by the club, parents and guardians must understand that there are no staff on the premises to safeguard, supervise or assist children, and at times there may not be any adults present at all. Parents must therefore accept complete responsibility for their juniors and guests when using the facilities of the club and the neighbouring North Bank estate, and either arrange for their play to be supervised or knowingly allow them to play unsupervised. 19 Nov
Safeguarding & Diversity: The LTA have asked us to make all members aware of their responsibilities when it comes to safeguarding children and vulnerable adults. There will shortly be a new noticeboard in the clubhouse with guidance and details of our Welfare Officers who will deal with any issues. In the meantime, you can find advice on what to do if you have a concern in the 'Emergencies' section of the Membership area of the website, and full details of the safeguarding, diversity and other polices in the 'Club policies' section. 20 Aug
Clubhouse Security: If court 4 is the only court being used and there is no-one in the clubhouse, in the interests of security please lock the clubhouse. 19 Nov
Court 4 bookings: Since October 2018 it has been possible to book Court 4 at times that were previously reserved for the North Bank Estate. Court 4 is still a shared resource with the estate, but we have removed the restrictions on booking for both parties: club members and the estate can now book Court 4 with equal priority at any time when the court is not being used for priority events such as coaching or club sessions. However estate users are not able to book Courts 1 to 3. We know that Court 4 has now become very popular, and in order to give estate users fair access to Court 4, club members are encouraged to try to book Courts 1 to 3 in preference to Court 4, especially at weekends. 16 May
Volunteers needed for working parties: A couple of times a year we get together a working party to do some maintenance work round the club, e.g. leaf clearing, weeding, cutting back foliage, clearing the gutter. Ian Jeffries keeps a list of volunteers that he calls upon when needs arise (no compulsion if you are unavailable!), so please email Ian at [email protected] if you are willing to be added to the list. Working parties usually take place at 10am on a Sunday and last a couple of hours. 19 Apr
Parking outside The Paddock: We have had an arrangement with The Paddock for many years allowing club members to use the sheltered housing parking providing we leave a minimum of two spaces for visitors to the residents. Please keep this in mind when you are using these spaces. 29 Aug
Facebook page: The club now has its own Facebook page. You can access it from the foot of the homepage of this website (click on the F logo). We have already uploaded some cool videos and we look forward to our members contributing to the site. 25 Apr