Club news & events
Club Tournament: After a 2 year gap, we were delighted to again run a successful club tournament with the finals on the weekend of 18 and 19 September. Photos to follow. Please click here >> for all the results. 19 Sep
Use of Clubhouse: For the time being the kitchen will remain out of bounds. In inclement weather we ask that a maximum of 6 people shelter in the clubhouse wearing masks and anyone else needing to shelter should use the umbrellas. 8 Aug
Weekend Club Sessions: We have returned to club sessions from 2:30pm to 5:30pm on both Saturday and Sunday. 6 Jun
Court 4 Bookings: We need to remind members that court 4 bookings are limited to one hour and if you would like to play for 1.5 hours then a single booking must be made on courts 1-3. We ask that you do not book one hour on court 4 and then transfer to one of the other courts. Court 4 is not exclusive to the club: it is a shared resource with the Methodist estate, and in the past we had use of the court for only 50% of the time. Now we have access all the time, but we have to ensure that there is availability for Chester House students and church groups. In addition, it is desirable that Court 4 is used by juniors and families where the risk of disturbance to other players is minimised. We know that Court 4 has now become very popular, and in order to give estate users fair access to Court 4, club members are encouraged to try to book Courts 1 to 3 in preference to Court 4, especially at weekends. 16 May
Booking courts: The LTA have decided that all logins to the Clubspark booking system that we use will soon have to be made with your LTA British Tennis membership login. As a result, you may soon be prompted to change your login when you try to make a booking. If you are a member of British Tennis, you can check your login name from the emails which the LTA sends, and if you have forgotten your LTA password, you can reset it on the LTA login page here: https://lta-tennis.force.com/s/login/. If you aren't already a member of British Tennis, membership of the Advantage Play+ category is free for club members. You can sign up for membership at the foot of the page here: https://www2.lta.org.uk/advantage/compare/ When you sign up, please ensure you add Muswell Hill Methodist as one of your tennis venues, and please send your name and British Tennis membership number to [email protected] once you have signed up. The booking system lets you book for the current day and the next six days. It is possible to have one booking each day.
Please remember to cancel a booking if the court is no longer needed.
We ask all members when booking a court to avoid if at all possible leaving half hour gaps before or after your booking. 7 May
Singles Ladder goes live again in 2021: Please see below information about the Singles Ladder which was started in November 2019 but since then hasn't been in operation very much over the last year, for obvious reasons. We are hoping there will still be interest in the ladder and that members will register using the link below. To Register: https://playwaze.com/ConfirmInvitation?token=mhml3993 and email confirmation to: [email protected]
Just to remind you, these are the basic rules:
- Joe will initially arrange into 3 ability divisions so that everyone can play roughly at their own level (random position within division), you can challenge the division above.
- You can challenge any of the 3 people above you; if the challenger wins they take the place above the loser.
- We will play a single 'Pro-set', the first to win 9 games, if it's 8-8 then a normal first to 7 tie break. Games will be played with 'normal rules' ie, proper deuce, change ends on odds.
- A challenge must be accepted and played within 3 weeks with mutually agreed exceptions, injury, holidays, etc.
- There'll be a physical ladder board with T-card names that can be re-arranged but strictly for display only. All challenges and scores must be done on-line (Zero tolerance!).
The list below is of those members who had signed up in 2019: Dave Sharp,Claire U, James E, Ralph K, Steve N, Joseph A, Emma J, Jerry W, Jamie B, Luigi B, David Day, Fred M, Martin L, David Davis, Sylvia B, Sylvia H, Michele F, Byron P, George B, David G, Kate L, Simon G, Alastair M. 28 Apr
Junior coaching with Joe Anan: If you have a junior in your family who would be interested in joining the Tuesday or Saturday coaching sessions please call Joe on 07956 265158 or email him at [email protected] to reserve a place on the course.
Tuesdays - £10 per player or £90 per 10 sessions
4pm to 5pm for 9-11yrs
5pm to 6pm for 12-16yrs
Saturdays - £10 per player or £90 per 10 sessions
10am to 11am for 9-11yrs
11am to 12noon for 12-16yrs
Sundays - junior club session for 12 to 16 year olds from 5:30 pm to 7:00 pm. The session is for junior club members only and members need to check with Joe to ensure that they are at the right level for the session. There will be no charge, and balls will be provided. To attend, call or email Joe. 23 Apr
Junior coaching: For full details of programmes with Maria and Joe please click here >> 26 Feb
Guests: A reminder that one member may bring only one guest at a time, and no one person may be brought as a guest more than five times in a membership year, irrespective of whose guest they are. Please:
- register the guest name and proposed date of play by email in advance before the guest attends by emailing [email protected]; guest registration is a condition of our insurance
- pay the guest fee (£5 for an adult or £3 for a junior) by bank transfer immediately after play 16 Mar
Regular court maintenance programme:
- On 19 October 2020, all courts were sprayed with moss killer.
- On 9 November 2020, all 4 courts were power brushed.
- On 25 March 2021, all 4 courts were power brushed and sprayed with moss killer.
- On 27 April and 7 May 2021 , Courts 1-3 were decompacted, which revives the pile and aims to restore the surface to its original state. All 4 courts were power brushed and new infill was applied – rubber granules on Courts 1-3 and sand on Court 4.
- On 29 July 2021, all 4 courts were power brushed. 29 Jul
Parking at MHMLTC: We ask that, where possible, you walk or cycle to the club. If you need to drive, we have 7 spaces in our car park and we ask that the first car to arrive parks at one end or other of the car park, to encourage others to park so that we make use of the 7 spaces. In addition, we need to remind long standing members and to advise new members of the following:
- We have no right to use car parking spaces at The Paddock. It is merely a friendly arrangement with a neighbour
- We may only use The Paddock spaces when our spaces are full
- When using The Paddock spaces we must always leave 2 spaces empty so that we do not deprive any resident or visitor of a space
- We are not permitted to park in the curve opposite the entrance to The Paddock parking. 5 Aug
Clubhouse Security: If court 4 is the only court being used and there is no-one in the clubhouse, in the interests of security please lock the clubhouse. 19 Nov
Joe's tennis tips: Joe has posted three videos on the club's Facebook page to keep us connected with our tennis. Click here >> to see them. 20 Apr
Supervision of Juniors: When children attend formal coaching sessions or holiday camps, they are supervised by the coaches concerned. However, when junior members and their guests use the club's facilities at any other time that is permitted by the club, parents and guardians must understand that there are no staff on the premises to safeguard, supervise or assist children, and at times there may not be any adults present at all. Parents must therefore accept complete responsibility for their juniors and guests when using the facilities of the club and the neighbouring North Bank estate, and either arrange for their play to be supervised or knowingly allow them to play unsupervised. 19 Nov
Safeguarding & Diversity: The LTA have asked us to make all members aware of their responsibilities when it comes to safeguarding children and vulnerable adults. There will shortly be a new noticeboard in the clubhouse with guidance and details of our Welfare Officers who will deal with any issues. In the meantime, you can find advice on what to do if you have a concern in the 'Emergencies' section of the Membership area of the website, and full details of the safeguarding, diversity and other polices in the 'Club policies' section. 20 Aug
Volunteers needed for working parties: A couple of times a year we get together a working party to do some maintenance work round the club, e.g. leaf clearing, weeding, cutting back foliage, clearing the gutter. Ian Jeffries keeps a list of volunteers that he calls upon when needs arise (no compulsion if you are unavailable!), so please email Ian at [email protected] if you are willing to be added to the list. Working parties usually take place at 10am on a Sunday and last a couple of hours. 19 Apr
Facebook page: The club now has its own Facebook page. You can access it from the foot of the homepage of this website (click on the F logo). We have already uploaded some cool videos and we look forward to our members contributing to the site. 25 Apr
British Tennis Membership: We ask all adult members and juniors 11 and over to sign up for free British Tennis Membership Lite. If you aren't already a member, please sign up and quote Muswell Hill Methodist as your tennis venue: https://www.lta.org.uk/member/benefits/. 31 Aug