Coronavirus communication No.2
Sun, 22 Mar 2020 00:00
Coronavirus (Covid-19) email to members No.2
22nd March 2020
Following the Government’s announcement (Friday 20 March) that social spaces such as pubs, gyms and leisure centres must close, all tennis clubhouses and similar social facilities should be closed as soon as possible.
Courts however can remain open for use to help ensure people remain active, subject to strict social distancing and hygiene practices being employed.
We all know tennis is a unique sport which has many benefits – the main one being health and wellbeing. While the LTA has suspended its organised activity, the Government have currently indicated that physical exercise (including grass roots coaching) that takes place at a safe distance from others and in safe exercise environments is something that can continue at this time. The current Government guidance states you can exercise outdoors if you stay more that 2 metres away from others.
The Department of Culture, Media and Sport has specifically advised us that tennis is one of the best examples of social distancing in practice, and so should be encouraged as long as the guidance permits.
The further advice around using our courts is summarised below:
- Closure of all social spaces at a venue, including changing and toilet facilities
- Activity should only take place where travel to and from the courts can be done in a way compliant with social distancing advice, with players not travelling together unless they are part of a group residing in the same place
- Activity should be in line with the Government’s advised social distancing measures at all times(defined by Public Health England as spending no more than 15 minutes within a 2-metre distance of someone), including when arriving to and departing from a court
- If you are not confident that you can adhere to the social distancing guidance when undertaking tennis and coaching activity in doubles format, you should only facilitate activity with two players per court
- Players are advised not to change ends during play
- Ensure no physical contact between players during warm-ups or games
- No extra-curricular or social activity should take place
- Players should wash hands before and after a tennis session without exception (or use an alcohol gel if washing hands is not possible)
- Avoid touching your face
- Outdoor courts and open spaces are preferable to indoor spaces
There is specific guidance around coaching which all coaches will have received to incorporate into their sessions.
Click the link below to read the latest full guidance from the LTA: