ACLTC History

Tennis was played on grass courts in the Bath grounds (see picture) by the end of the 19th century and annual tournaments were organised before the First World War. These attracted world class players who often came to Ashby after participating in the Wimbledon championships – several of the club's trophies record their names.

Shortly after the Great War the club moved from the Bath grounds to its present site on land purchased in 1926 from the Hasting's estate. Originally the club boasted three grass and two red shale courts and a wooden pavilion, with veranda plus a separate changing hut.  The rest of the land was given over to allotments and rose gardens. The playing season began in May and ended in September.

ACLTC became a force in the region becoming runners up in the Mercury Cup in 1924. It took another 73 years before we finally won it in 1997!

Naturally the club was less active during the Second World War and membership grew during the late 1940's. In 1948 twelve pupils from the local Grammar School were invited to become the first juniors and two are still active playing members 60 years later!

In 1978 two all weather courts (now courts 3 and 4) replaced the allotments. The pavilion was extended with the erection of half an RAF billet transported from Innsworth in Gloucestershire! Then in the 1980's the grass courts were replaced with tarmac. These are now courts 5 and 6.

Recent years have seen annual improvements and additions to the club's facilities. With increased membership came the need for the much improved two-storey clubhouse. Also all courts were eventually replaced with the current all-weather 'Savannah' courts. As the courts wear there is annual maintenance of all the surfaces, nets, and fencing to ensure that ACLTC continues to enjoy its reputation as a premier tennis club.

K.J. Ikin - Trustee